Thursday, January 12, 2012

Homemade Liquid Soap

So, it's been awhile.

I've had this post hangin' around for some two months. I wanted to add myself to the list of many, many folks already writing about making liquid soap at home because I truly felt that blog-world needed one more... (are you sensing the drip of sarcasm?)
Actually, there are many reasons why it has taken me so long to write on the subject. But the main reason is that I've been trying all of the methods I've come across, and wasn't really gettin' it down. Lots of trial and error. Well, I've finally come up with my own lazy (& cheap) girl method. And whataya know- success!
Here it is:

Start with a bar of soap. Anything you got.

Now grate that bar with your cheese grater to create soap flakes (using the small holes... whatever you call that side of the grater?) This is sort of time consuming, but hang in there. It's well worth it!

Put your soap flakes in a medium bowl and add water to cover.

Leave it on the counter over night.

The next day, using an emersion blender or regular blender, and whip it up! At this point, I added some almond oil, castor bean oil, and aloe vera - just because it's what I had lying around. You can add olive oil, cinnamon....whatever you want. Or don't add anything if you're using a nice soap from the start. I wanted to adjust my consistency with the oils, but if you find you need to thin yours out a bit, you could also just use more water.

I found that I get more use out of one bar of soap by liquifying it this way, because I generally will throw away the nasty, soupy, puddly bar next to the sink or in the shower before it ever gets used up. In the end, I'm saving money. And I have body wash and hand soap that doesn't have weird chemicals in it. Boo-yah!

1 comment:

  1. Boo-ya!! Been waiting for this post! Souds like my way of doing things; girly and lazy. :)
    Thanks for sharing, i'm excited to start saving! And thanks for the quick input of body wash, the whole time i've been thinking just hand soap, but I can guarantee i'll be doing liquid body wash too! Thanks sis

    ReplyDelete