Sunday, July 17, 2011

If you can't stand the heat, use a crock pot.

I love to discover or create recipes that simply can't go wrong. These barbeque chicken sandwiches are one of those gems. I was originally planning to only share the coleslaw recipe here, just so that I could look it up in the future. The small scrap of paper I have it scribbled on is likely to disappear while it's waiting to be safely organized in my recipe collection. Then I made these sandwiches the other night and thought, for posterity, I'll document our entire meal. I will say, regarding the photograph, that these sandwiches received the kid treatment (note the carrot sticks) because my husband wasn't home for dinner. You might consider creating a slightly more sophisticated meal with, well, something besides carrot sticks.
These sandwiches are great for large gatherings, big eaters, or days when you feel guilty about sending your husband out in the hundred degree heat to stand in front of a four hundred degree barbeque.

The Chicken:

Put a few pounds of BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS in your crock pot. (if you don't use thighs because you only have chicken breasts, and you think they're healthier so you decide to modify this recipe, you void any guarantee that is accompanied with this recipe)
You can use fresh or frozen chicken, and as much as you need or fits in your crock pot. I used about a dozen small, fresh thighs, which yielded about eight full sandwiches.
Pour about one to one and a half cups of your favorite BARBEQUE SAUCE over the chicken. Then turn it on and walk away... well put the lid on, and make sure it's plugged in, and set it to high for a couple hours. Your cooking time will vary depending on the size of your crock pot, the amount of chicken you're using and if they are fresh or frozen. My twelve fresh thighs took about two and half hours.
When you can smell the chicken from across the house, and see the saucy goodness bubbling, you're almost done. Make sure your chicken is cooked through. It should pull apart easily with a fork. Remove from the crock pot. Shred with forks then RETURN TO THE CROCK POT and stir it up. It's done!

The Coleslaw:
In a medium bowl combine;

2T minced onion
2T white vinegar
2T mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
2t sugar
1t black pepper
1/2 t salt

Add 2c angel hair cabbage and toss
Refrigerate at least 2 hours

This cole slaw is very mild in flavor and caters to the texture sensitive eater in me (and maybe you).

Use any sandwich rolls and load up with chicken and cole slaw. Add extra barbeque sauce if you prefer.

There it is. Just about the easiest summertime dinner that you can have prepared before lunch!




1 comment: