Monday, October 17, 2011

Easy French Bread

I made this bread with dinner tonight, and it was so easy I just have to pass along the recipe. Let me first say that I have no experience with bread making. I can follow a recipe, and love the oatmeal bread from breadworld.com that my sis shared with me, but that is all the bread I have ever baked. So I'm branching out here. This french bread recipe wasn't as daunting as some other recipes I've seen, so I gave it a shot. It turned out great, and was just as easy as the pizza crust I make with my kitchen aid mixer - which takes almost no effort. I will say that you need to plan ahead with this one. I guess that goes for any bread. I don't have a true source for this recipe because I originally got it from a friend of a friend, and then made some of my own modifications. So I'm calling it my own. If any of you have good sources for bread recipes then pass 'em down, cause I'm hoping to broaden my bread making skillz.

1 1/2c warm water
2T sugar
2t salt
1 pkg active dry yeast (I used rapid rise yeast because that's what I had..I don't really know what the difference is)
2T oil
4c bread flour (actually just under 4c)

In a large bowl stir together water, sugar, salt and yeast. Let set about 5 minutes. Add oil and flour -about a half a cup at a time- blending with your hand, until smooth. Do not knead. Cover with cloth and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled. Flatten dough, divide in half. Let rest for 10 minutes. Roll up dough into 2 loaves. Place on an oiled cookie sheet and coat loaf with oil or spray with Pam. Let rise another hour. Score top of loaves and bake in a preheated oven at 400 for 20 minutes. (I used a baking stone and the loaves transfered from the cookie sheet easily after rising.)

No comments:

Post a Comment